WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » A wrestler called "The Thing"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A wrestler called "The Thing"
Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago, I read an article in an anthology called My Father was the Thing My Father was "the Thing." I could not easily find a wrestler called the Thing on Searchy, but I bet there was more than one with that name. Although I remember nothing about the article, except that the anthology was compiled around 1950, it may have been an early instance of breaking kayfabe.
IP: Logged
diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thing was Brother Frank Jares, and the article was written by his son Joe.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Joe Jares SI article is on-line. Good read - it was fleshed out into book form, don't know about the anthology reference. I'm guessing the art would be closer to 1960 than 1950. Interesting blend of kayfabe and inside the biz.

Trivia - there was a real Frank Jares and a bogus one that used the name on occasion. Whatever happened to that character???

[ 06-10-2011, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Blind Guy ]

--------------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours." -
Richard Bach

JJ Bklyn42
Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ Bklyn42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sports Illustrated, March 21, 1966

Article became the foundation for the book "Whatever Happened to Gorgeous George" (1974).

--------------------
"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives" - Jack Roosevelt Robinson

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. Scary when you think something was written many years before it actually was.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations