WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » 1963 Michigan Circuit Results Clip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1963 Michigan Circuit Results Clip
The Mystery Man
Member # 2157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mystery Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 1963 Detroit Promoter Bert Ruby Michigan circuit card that featured some future pro wrestling stars, a couple under different IDs.

CHENE BEATS "THE STUDENT"

Saturday December 28, 1963
The Holland (Michigan) Evening Sentinel

More than 1,000 fans turned out Friday night to see Larry Chene win 2-out-of-3 falls from "The Student", a newcomer, in the Civic Center.

Masked, "The Student" pinned Chene for the first fall in 13 minutes. Chene managed to twist "The Student's" mask and capture the second fall to even the bout with 18 minutes elapsed.

Chene scored the victory after 25 minutes had gone by when the masked man was disqualified. Gary Hart, "The Student's" manager, frequently interfered in the match.

One Holland fan entered the ring to take part in the fracas but was quickly removed from the building by the police.

Hart opened the evening with a draw against The Black Orchid in a 20-minute time limit match. Lord Anthony Landsdowne pinned Gino Britto with a body press at the 8-minute mark of the 30-minute contest.

Ivan Kalmilkoff and Britto fought to a draw in another bout and Landsdowne, making his second appearance of the night, won over popular Joe Matty with a body slam with 12-minutes gone.

Landsdowne and Britto each wrestled twice because Crusher Cortez and The Great Mephisto failed to appear.

Detroit Promoter Bert Ruby announced wrestling would return to the Civic Center next month.

IP: Logged
puffo
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for puffo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larry Chene always put on a good match. I heard wrestlers state that he could really fly in the ring. The Black Orchid was one of the first wrestlers I remember seeing wrestle at Marigold Gardens in Chicago. He use to pass out orchids when he came into the ring and do a dance when he would win. He was a crowd favorite. Does anyone know if he is still with us and whatever happened with his wrestling career?
justahamandegger
Member # 5447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justahamandegger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the "Student" learned anything in his match against Larry.

Larry Chene was a great talent in the ring. I wonder how things would have went if he hadn't passed away.

The Mystery Man
Member # 2157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mystery Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A young 'Lord Anthony Landsdowne', on the above card, in a few months to be known as 'Johnny Powers' starting in June '64 Pittsburgh. Billed as the 'Hawaiian Champion'.

Wrestled WWF Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino for the title in the main event outside at the ballpark a month after he debuted.

"Right place, right villain - blond, Buddy Rogers persona, right time", quoting Johnny Powers from a recent interview.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations