WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » The first tag-team match: March, 1941? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The first tag-team match: March, 1941?
CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the earliest tag team matches in Wisconsin called for both members of a team to lose before a fall was registered. Theoretically, it could take 9 falls total to determine the winners in a two out of three fall match. So, it wasn't uncommon for some of the tag bouts to go 90 minutes to a draw.
Has anyone seen or heard of this elsewhere?

IP: Logged
Steve Johnson
Member # 6361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Johnson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've looked up and down on this for years and those are the first I have found, Bolo.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trios matches in Mexico. Either the team captain had to lose or both the other guys for the fall to count.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milwaukee promoter Henry Tolle also came up with "Derby" matches in '42 - '43. Three men on a team, each team representing a city or state, or a local company or venue, with points scored for pins, submissions, disqualifications and count outs. Usually this would be a 3-card series, and whichever side had the most points after the series would win overall.
repairmanjacj
Member # 6649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for repairmanjacj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not into this & I don't know if it helps, but this is from Don Luce's research on Houston 1936:

Houston, TX: October 2, 1936 (promoter-Morris Sigel)
(City Auditorium) ... (First team bout in United States) Tiger Daula and Fazul Mohammed beat Leo Daniel Boone Savage and Milo Steinborn (2-0) ... Otto Kuss beat Ellis Bashara ... Ray Steele beat Dan O’Connor (dq) ... Jim Clinstock beat Blue Sun Jennings ... Marshall Blackstock drew with Cliff Thiede (30:00) ... (referees-Dr. Karl Sarpolis and Sol Slagel) ... NOTE: Judging from the Houston Post, the team match with all four wrestlers and two referees in the ring, did not get over well with the fans. Fazul Mohammed was billed as the older brother of Tiger Daula. It was said that team wrestling was very popular in India.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is a video of the style of match Your described above. I will check YouTube and see but I remember Vincent Lopez being one of the participants. I want to say the match was dated 35 or 36.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of our own JOpela here is the match. Unfortunately it doesn't have the exact date or year like I originally had thought it did:

https://youtu.be/ob1m5sthPMQ

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
March 6, 2007
Research by Tim Hornbaker

According to the January 8, 1939 edition of the Los Angeles Times, “Dopey and Sleepy, the Arkansas Scufflers” were defending “their world’s team championship against the two notorious bad men, Tarzan Orth and Tiger Tsakoff.” The paper reported that “While Dopey and Sleepy have been acclaimed team champs by the public their battle against Orth and Tsakoff will be the first sanctioned by the National Wrestling Association. The Legion will present the winners of the match with a gold belt.” According to the report, Dopey and Sleepy defeated all teams in a “coast to coast tour,” and were accompanied to the ring by Pappy and Sis. Orth was “co-claimant of the light-heavyweight title with Danny McShain. Recently, Orth defeated McShain in an overweight contest.” The show also marked the debut of Jesse James, who the year before won the “New York State light heavyweight championship.” James was managed by George Parnassus, the well known manager of numerous boxers.

The January 9, 1939 edition of the Los Angeles Times reported that “Dopey and Sleepy have defeated all opposition from coast to coast, but the National Wrestling Association has never taken cognizance of it as a division. The Legion will present the winning team with a gold belt emblematic of the title.” The paper stated that “this is the first time that team grappling has been recognized as a separate class.”

Hollywood, California: Monday, January 9, 1939
(Hollywood Legion Stadium) … Paul Orth and Tiger Tsakoff b. The Arkansas Scufflers (Dopey and Sleepy) to capture the “world’s team championship in wrestling.” (2/3) … Jesse James b. Monte LaDue (2-0) … Billy Raburn b. Bobby Wagner (22:46) … Jimmy Lott b. Pete Belbascro (11:21) … Danny Savich b. Buddy Knox (8:57) … (promoter: Charley MacDonald)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations