WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Pre-1948 National Wrestling Alliance (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pre-1948 National Wrestling Alliance
ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5/16/44 Minneapols. Steve, I have Levin winning that match.
IP: Logged
MattBenaka
Member # 5772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattBenaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, I'm typing up some of my 1940s research before heading back to the library for fresh stuff, but found June of 1941 interesting in Topeka, KS. At the start of the year the recognized champ was MWA titleholder Orville Brown. Then Roy Dunn pops up in June.

The first appearance of Dunn in Topeka as a champion is June 11, 1941. He's described as Wrestling Alliance Heavyweight Champion. His opponent was Jack Suzek.

June 20, 1941 has Dunn listed as National Wrestling Alliance Heavyweight Champion as he faces Ali Tu Hamen on a card to benefit the U.S.O.

July 30, 1941 has Dunn defending the National Wrestling Alliance Heavyweight Championship against Jack "Oregon" McDonald. The article before the show states, "Tonight Roy Dunn, conqueror of Lee Wyckoff and undefeated title claimant, will put his National Wrestling Alliance heavyweight belt on the line for the first time under the rought Texas rules when he climbs thru the ropes of the American Legion's ring at the Owl ball park to face Jack "Oregon" McDonald, the nation's No. 1 mat ruffian."

Those are the listing I have through July. I do wonder what happened that led to Dunn and his title coming into favor over Brown and his title. History shows that Brown's claim returns and Dunn fades out of the Topeka circuit. I'm not sure if it's interesting to anyone else, but I find this little burp in Topeka intriguing.

Matt Benaka

Tim Hornbaker
Member # 2439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Hornbaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by MattBenaka:
At the start of the year the recognized champ was MWA titleholder Orville Brown. Then Roy Dunn pops up in June.

Those are the listing I have through July. I do wonder what happened that led to Dunn and his title coming into favor over Brown and his title. History shows that Brown's claim returns and Dunn fades out of the Topeka circuit.

What to look for is if the same promoter was running Brown at the beginning of the year, then switched to Dunn (Sandow/Baumann). If not, it's likely a promotional war. If so, it seems to indicate that something happened to force Yeargain (or whoever) to change his talent pool. Brown was a fighter, and took it to Sandow's troupe in Wichita. He might have done the same thing in Topeka in opposition.

ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that Dunn is described as conqueror of Wyckoff, because Wyckoff is the current MWA KC champion. Seems like a dig at the MWA.
ttf
Member # 34

Read a couple days ago who Ali Tu Hamen was. Can't remember now and can't find it. How about Brunek Zagurski? Also called Bruno Zaburski.
MattBenaka
Member # 5772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattBenaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yohe, I may have an answer on the Levin/Brown MWA Title picture from 4-27-44 and 5-4-44. Your results note that Levin beat Brown with one fall on 4-27-44 and won the title, but Brown was disputing the one fall loss to the commission.

I have no commission talk, but I have a card in Topeka, KS on 5-3-44 that reads as follows:

"Dave Levin, handsome New York matman, makes his first stand in defense of his M.W.A. heavyweight championship, when he pits his skill and agility against Tom Zaharias, Colorado slug and choke expert in the 90-minute headliner of the American Legion program promoted by Mrs. Max Yeargain at Municipal Auditorium.

Levin who defeated Orville Brown in Kansas City Thursday night and was presented the M.W.A. heavyweight belt, is a titleholder for the second time in his career. In 1936, the stalwart Brooklyn youth downed Ali Baba in a bout wich lasted only 21 minutes. His eventful reign as world's champion was brought to a halt in almost a year by a ring accident which prevented him from further competition for a time.

Levin's return to wrestling this past season proved that his relentless training and strengthening exercises had developed him into one of the most powerful wrestlers of this decade. His victory over Brown was not surprising to those who had abserved the clever New Yorker in action."

So, if Levin was defending the MWA World Title in Topeka on May 3rd it leads me to believe he was defending his title claim on May 4th against Brown.

Hope this helps some.

Matt

ttf
Member # 34

The comments about Levin's Ali Baba title in his injury are way off. Levin defended that title until 9/28/36, losing it to Dean Detton. He continued a regular program, so there was no injury before or after the Detton transfer.
The injury comment has to refer to the famous 1/21/37 match in NYC with Bruns in which a rope burn led to blood poisoning, which put Dave out of commission for quite a while. It made national news, when Bruns provided a transfusion in the hospital for Dave. Pfefer had sent a bunch of his wrestlers to the hospital, but only Dave had the proper type.

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ttf:
The comments about Levin's Ali Baba title in his injury are way off. Levin defended that title until 9/28/36, losing it to Dean Detton. He continued a regular program, so there was no injury before or after the Detton transfer.
The injury comment has to refer to the famous 1/21/37 match in NYC with Bruns in which a rope burn led to blood poisoning, which put Dave out of commission for quite a while. It made national news, when Bruns provided a transfusion in the hospital for Dave. Pfefer had sent a bunch of his wrestlers to the hospital, but only Dave had the proper type.

ttf, this puts Pfefer in New York City as late as 1937 with a crew of wrestlers. Was he promoting locally or allied with another promoter? Was his spill of Kayfabe to Dan Parker of the New York Daily Mirror and Hearst before this date? I thought it was. If so, how'd he survive the wreckage in the area?

Thanks.

Ken

ttf
Member # 34

The Pfefer newspaper stuff was in 33/34.
Pfefer had Levin's contract when he beat Ali Baba. After Mondt bought Levin's contract, Mondt, Pfefer were combined with Curley as matchmaker. Curley went on his own, and Mondt gave up Pfefer to rejoin Curley. Pfefer continued at the Hippodrome with William Johnston as ally. Probably Johnston had the license and Pfefer was the booker.

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These were good old days.---Yohe
Jtmcgee
Member # 125720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jtmcgee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the kind of info that fascinates me.mr hornbaker,the nwa book helped me get a much better picture of how and why some things happened.thank you.i would love to see some footage of orville brown.i know lou thought he could've taken him,but he seemed like a legit tough guy from what i've heard and read."londos' defeat by o'mahoney came after londos cracked two ribs in detroit"what is it with detroit and cracked ribs?!
Jtmcgee
Member # 125720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jtmcgee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the type of info that fascinates me.mr hornbaker,thank you for the nwa book.it helped me get a better picture of how and why certain things happened.i would love to see footage of orville brown.i know lou thought he could've taken him,but from what i've heard and read he seemed like a legit tough guy." after brown cracked two of londos' ribs in detroit" what is it with detroit and cracked ribs?!!
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations