WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Mark Flemming and Lou`s Dojo.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mark Flemming and Lou`s Dojo.
Gery from ISR
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gery from ISR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a full list of guys that Lou trained and how many Dojos he had in Japan. Also what`s up with Flemming these days?

Thanks.

[ 04-11-2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Gery_Roif ]

--------------------
בס"ד

"If ya want the best, you`ve got to get Rogers to fit the bill" - Buddy Rogers

To those who don`t believe, no explanation will do ;
to those who do believe, no explanation is necessary.

"I`m a wrestler, not a F`N stuntman!" Bret Hart to Vince Russo

IP: Logged
Hisaharu Tanabe
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hisaharu Tanabe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if Thesz actually had any dojo (as a facility) in Japan. He came to Japan to coach for IWE, New Japan, All Japan, and UWF International, however.

--------------------
Hisaharu Tanabe
Pro-Wrestling Title Histories
Puroresu - Japanese Pro-Wrestling
New York Pro Wrestling

Ron Champ Miller
Member # 2643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Champ Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I trained with lou and mark in norfolk va late 80's.....
me and another guy named mark i think..he was a truck driver with brown curly hair..mid 20's i think..tall and medium build..
dont know what mark is up to...here is a earlier post from me...

In the late 80's I attended lou's wrestling school....Mark Fleming was there as well....
I remember walking in and meeting the legend the first time. It was an honor and thrill.

He was straight up with me, honest. I was expecting the bs usually associated with wrestling school....

i paid the 500 a month fee. i worked out at the fitness center, and we would drive to the ring..i musty, dark building with a hard ring....it was cold(this was in dec)....

tough enough??that was nothing compared to this.....

i remember wrestling with the legend. He was very strong at his age which was amazing. I wrestled the great lou thesz!!!!! i felt a part of history....he corrected me, and taught me some submission holds....

i remember talking to him and mark about wrestling...fascinating.....

i only lasted 1 month.....i really didnt have the upperbody strength...plus my parents were moving to japan....perhaps i didnt want it as bad as i thought..
telling him i was leaving was a hard decision that was tough.......

do i regret it? yes and no...i mean, there was no guarantees.....who knows.....

i remember another student...he was a tall lanky white guy with brown curly hair...he was mid 25's.....i was 18 or 19...

i had graduated Denbigh hs.....which is in newport news va...the academy was in norfolk.....

a shame lou's death went pretty much unnoticed...i think i got the info off the net..a wrestling website i think.......

my brief time with lou....brought back alot of memories...

i remember him talking about charlie alot...

i always wondered what happened to the school..i guess it didnt work out..like lou said no dedication..sounds like me......

sorry if i'm rambling on, but not a day passes by, i dont think about this time in my life....

lou was so viral and strong for his age..his mind was sharp.....amazing.....

does mark fleming post here? if not, how can i get a hold of him?

its a shame i only found this site after lou's death......i would have loved to talk to him 1 more time....i dont know if he would have remembered me or not...

but it doesnt matter.....i remembered and admired him......

i just want to send my condolences to the family at this sad hard and trying time......

"lou thesz press!!!!!" Jim ross.....

ron miller

[ 04-11-2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Ron Champ Miller ]

--------------------
champs corner........

Gery from ISR
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gery from ISR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story!

I clearly remember UWFi push Flemming as "Lou Thesz Japan Dojo head coach". You sure he didn`t have any facilities or had NJ or UWFi host their facilities for him?

--------------------
בס"ד

Hisaharu Tanabe
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hisaharu Tanabe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, if you're talking about Thesz coaching at UWF Int'l dojo, yes. I just don't remember him actually having a dojo as his own.

I could be wrong, of course.

[ 04-12-2003, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Hisaharu Tanabe ]

--------------------
Hisaharu Tanabe
Pro-Wrestling Title Histories
Puroresu - Japanese Pro-Wrestling
New York Pro Wrestling

Gery from ISR
Member # 803

I doubt you`re wrong [Smile]
Was Lou the head coach in the UWFi? Maybe they just figured to name it after him at that time?

--------------------
בס"ד

wanderer
Member # 2653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am all but certain that Tanabe is correct about Lou never having a dojo in Japan. He did work as a trainer for several of the promotions, and for big bucks, too.

The Norfolk school sort of evolved (Charlie could help with the specifics here). Some of the Japanese promotions occasionally sent boys to Lou in Norfolk for seasoning, and Lou had no regular place to teach, until he found this space in a warehouse. He was on the Internet by then, too, and he was getting a lot of e-mails from people who were asking if he'd train them, so he decided to give the school a shot. My recollection is that he ran it for a little more than a year; he was pretty choosy about his students, and there just weren't enough "serious" students for him to continue with it. When he and Charlie moved to Winter Garden, he did some personal training in hooking at a gym in Orlando, and it was fascinating to accompany him to those sessions. His students were mostly high school wrestlers or young semi-sophisticated guys with some amateur background who wanted to see what hooking was all about. Lou would have two of them go at it freestyle on the mat, and when he'd see a certain hold or move, he'd make them stop where they were and then he'd show them some subtle little thing that made the hold or move a hook. None of these people really had an idea of what was coming, and Lou would glance at me and wink and grin just before demonstrating the hook. And then the screaming would start....

I'm not much of a sentimentalist, but I do have a treasured souvenir from those days -- a T-shirt from the "Lou Thesz School of Wrestling." The logo on the front is Lou's signature over the name of the school; on the back is a large drawing of a wrestler taking an opponent down with the Greco-Roman backdrop. Charlie says a friend of Lou's had them made up with an eye to marketing them, but the guy lost interest and never had more than a dozen of them printed. I count myself as lucky to have one....

ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanderer: Where and when did the match take place in which Ruffy tried to take Lou by attacking his bad knee?
suplexer
Member # 3986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suplexer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou and myself had several guys from Japan we trained. Koji Katio the Sumo wrestler trained with us for about 3 or 4 months along with one of Giant Baba's guys Apollo. We had Yuki for about 9 months or more, turned out a good worker and wrestler. He wrestled independence in Japan. Could have turned into something if he would had lisened to Lou.
suplexer
Member # 3986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suplexer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Mark Fleming I was a protege of Lou Thesz,and the coach at his wrestling school for 4 years. Lou took me to Japan to wrestle for New Japan Prom. UWFI Prom. on 19 tours. I learned more wrestling holds and hooks, that guys today don't know because nobody teaches them! I hear some people have asked on this messageboard my where abouts these days. I'm working on openning a Wrestling school and gym herein the Norfolk area very soon.
Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we've been kinda hoping you'd show up for awhile now.

Welcome aboard from the Sunshine State!

[ 04-21-2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask I ]

wanderer
Member # 2653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttf, would love to help you with the time and location of the knee incident involving Lou and Ruffy, but I simply don't know. Looked back through my notes last night and found nothing specific. Lou's best recollection was that it happened while working for Al Haft, and it occurred sometime in the early '50s, so maybe someone with one of those record books could pin it down.

Good to see Mark posting here. Lou was very fond of him and always spoke highly of Mark's ability and, most importantly, his commitment to the old school style of wrestling. Good to read, too, that Mark's thinking of doing some teaching; that's one way to keep Lou's knowledge alive.

Maybe Mark could be coaxed into telling the story about the "reality TV" show he and Lou did in Japan years ago, long before that type of programming reached these shores. I've got a copy of the show on tape somewhere, and it's something to see -- two skinny young guys are supposed to get in the ring with a pro wrestler and see if they can last five minutes in order to win the prize money. Just before the match, the camera cuts to Mark, as if he's the guy these two poor souls have to wrestle. At the last second, though, Mark steps aside and there's Lou. It's a funny segment, because the two contestants obviously knew nothing about wrestling and were probably thinking they'd get away with doing some "performance" stuff -- running the ropes, leaping off the turnbuckle, etc. Lou, of course, was having none of that (we watched the tape together once, and Lou said his only thought was to teach these two guys some respect); he took out the first of the two in a matter of seconds with a double wristlock and really cinched it in, making the guy scream. He snatched the second guy and put him into the STF, with the same result. The whole sequence probably lasted less than two minutes. "They got religion," Lou said, laughing, as we watched the tape. He did not fool around when it came to his wrestling....

Ron Champ Miller
Member # 2643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Champ Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by suplexer:
My name is Mark Fleming I was a protege of Lou Thesz,and the coach at his wrestling school for 4 years. Lou took me to Japan to wrestle for New Japan Prom. UWFI Prom. on 19 tours. I learned more wrestling holds and hooks, that guys today don't know because nobody teaches them! I hear some people have asked on this messageboard my where abouts these days. I'm working on openning a Wrestling school and gym herein the Norfolk area very soon.

hey mark...ron champ miller here...

i worked with you and another guy(tall, lanky curley hair..i think his name was mark too..drove a truck) for about a month(see my above post)...

i miss it..i always wonder what would have happened if i had stuck with it...

i'm sure you dont remember me, but i remember you...i think you were "kurt angle b4 angle..

Ron

--------------------
champs corner........

suplexer
Member # 3986

Wanderer: That reality TV show Lou and I did was taped here in Virginia at a gym we trained at. The Japan based TV show came here to tape the show and spent two days with us watching us train in the ring. We had right many guys we were training at the time. I think they were really impressed on how we trained. Came time to shoot the show the two contestents did not know what we were going to put them through. Show time the directors wanted me to imtidate these guys, and they wrestle me. Than Lou gets in and tears them up! After the show the guys were really shakenup.
Steve Loftin
Member # 4020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Loftin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any news on when the wrestling school will be opened?

Steve

--------------------
"Hard times don't last, but hard men do." - Unknown

akita632
Member # 4023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akita632     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in finding out about the school too. VERY INTERESTED.

--------------------
"The ring is my Temple, Submission is my religion" - Akita 6:32

suplexer
Member # 3986

Hi,Im working on the school and gym now! I should know something by June 1. I'm going to have a gym with freeweights,and machines and also in the wrestling room, mats and a 16x16 Pro Wrestling ring. The membership includes both. I will teach PRO STYLE WRESTLING, CATCH, GRECO, FREESTYLE and FOLKSTYLE wrestling. It well be a wrestling gym, with plenty of wrestling history, and memorabilia all over the gym! You would learn how to wrestle these styles the correct way, like Lou Thesz taught me!!!
Steve Loftin
Member # 4020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Loftin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply, Mark. Please keep us posted.

Steve

--------------------

Gery from ISR
Member # 803

Hey Mark! Thanks for the answer, I knew all Lou`s friends keep an eye on the board, so I was hoping you`d show up.

Mark, I really love your work! I enjoyed watching you wrestle in the UWFi. I wonder, who else was in Lou`s Dojo back then?

Best of luck with your new Dojo, Lou`s tradition will live through your training, so I thank you for that! What have you been up to since your UWFi days?

--------------------
בס"ד

Gery from ISR
Member # 803

quote:
Originally posted by wanderer:
Am all but certain that Tanabe is correct about Lou never having a dojo in Japan. He did work as a trainer for several of the promotions, and for big bucks, too.

The Norfolk school sort of evolved (Charlie could help with the specifics here). Some of the Japanese promotions occasionally sent boys to Lou in Norfolk for seasoning, and Lou had no regular place to teach, until he found this space in a warehouse. He was on the Internet by then, too, and he was getting a lot of e-mails from people who were asking if he'd train them, so he decided to give the school a shot. My recollection is that he ran it for a little more than a year; he was pretty choosy about his students, and there just weren't enough "serious" students for him to continue with it. When he and Charlie moved to Winter Garden, he did some personal training in hooking at a gym in Orlando, and it was fascinating to accompany him to those sessions. His students were mostly high school wrestlers or young semi-sophisticated guys with some amateur background who wanted to see what hooking was all about. Lou would have two of them go at it freestyle on the mat, and when he'd see a certain hold or move, he'd make them stop where they were and then he'd show them some subtle little thing that made the hold or move a hook. None of these people really had an idea of what was coming, and Lou would glance at me and wink and grin just before demonstrating the hook. And then the screaming would start....

I'm not much of a sentimentalist, but I do have a treasured souvenir from those days -- a T-shirt from the "Lou Thesz School of Wrestling." The logo on the front is Lou's signature over the name of the school; on the back is a large drawing of a wrestler taking an opponent down with the Greco-Roman backdrop. Charlie says a friend of Lou's had them made up with an eye to marketing them, but the guy lost interest and never had more than a dozen of them printed. I count myself as lucky to have one....

Thanks for clearing it up and for the story, it was a pleasure reading!

--------------------
בס"ד

suplexer
Member # 3986

Hello Guys, I hope there really is an interest in this wrestling school! Give me some feedback on what you all think!
Gery from ISR
Member # 803

I think your school is a great idea, if you need any help promoting it I`m sure we`d be glad to help. If you want I can feature a story on you on my website(Israel) and send it out to the newspapers as well, I`ll be helping with Royce Gracie`s Seminar in Israel in june, I could spread the word there.

I think if it works out well, I could help you do a Seminar in Israel too, we get UWFi reruns to this very day!

Personally I`m very happy to see you open this Dojo to continue Lou`s legacy.

--------------------
בס"ד

Steve Loftin
Member # 4020

Mark,

You should visit www.catchwrestle.com and fire off an e-mail to Tony Cecchine. He is in Chicago and considered to be "the man" when dealing with CACC as it is known in the USA. I am sure he would be very interested in corresponding with you and doing whatever is necessary to help your dojo grow. He has helped so many people over the years and has recently started up the International Catch Wrestling Association to help promote the almost lost art of Catch.

ANY info about your school would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for sharing this info with us.

Steve

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations