WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Lou: Instructional Videos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lou: Instructional Videos
Sean
Member # 1698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Thesz have you ever thought of making your own instructional videos on the art of Catch Wrestling? I know Tony Cecchine is making videos, but it would be wonderful to have some of your knowledge put down on tape for those of us interested in learning the techniques and submissions of Catch wrestling so that they don't die out.

Thank you for your time.

IP: Logged
bigcracker67
Member # 1710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigcracker67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Thesz,
I just now..a few minutes ago finished your bio. I found it fascinating and comforting to know that we as Americans had a true wrestling sport at one time. I also agree with you that we are on the verge of seeing a renaissance in American wrestling.

I want to further encourage you to make a video of your knowledge for posterity's sake if for no other reason. Karl Gotch made what basically is a home movie quality video of conditioning techniques he used to train wrestlers in Japan. I along with many others I'm sure would like to hear your take on such subjects as conditioning, hooking, "show" moves and other topics.

Additionally, I would like to know how to contact you by mail. I used to be a Marine stationed in Norfolk and am planning a visit back there in the fall or spring and if possible would like to meet you.

Dave Wright

Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Thesz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

What you ask is so difficult to do - if it is to be of any value. Tony has done a great job, but it is not easy for me to just "instruct". I worked out with specific guys and coached them in certain areas, but never developed a coaching or training regime for anyone. I could probably do for someone what Tragos did for me, but who has the time or money to learn something so useless as a career.

I appreciate the value you put on my knowledge, and I too wish I could leave more of it behind. Conditioning techniques ahve changed and improved - for the most part - since I was playing handball with Ray and George. As for the hooks, that is where I do feel a loss.

I am trying to get Tony to move here and me work with him in his program.

Thanks for the support guys!

Lou

Gortiz99
Member # 1795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gortiz99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Thesz, I'm a student of Tony's, and organize seminars for him in NJ. (Which is where I live, but Tony has told me he still considers me a studnt since I try to implement his techniques when I train and compete; and I have been coached by him in both Ill. and N.J.) Tony has always spoken highly of you. Do you hold ever seminars anywhere on the east coast? I'd definitely be interested in attending.

Glenn Ortiz

Jake McClain
Member # 1837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake McClain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Thesz,

Maybe the stuff is pretty useless in this "sports entertainment" era of wrestling, but the stuff you know, I would think, would be great knowledge for shootfighters.

Remember, you get those UFC shows, and when a wrestler gets in, they more than likely either get runner up or win it all. Wrestlers are lethal combatants because all the kicks and punches and flips and stuff won't do you any good if you are pinned to the ground with your ankle touching your neck. Your techniques would be very helpful for shootfighters.......the lost techniques, you could call them.

Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Thesz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

In reviewing this, I realized I didn't tell bigcracker I was now in Florida.

As for training, you guys don't seem to realize the knowledge of today's techinques I would have to study. I have not been in the loop for a few years and the industry has developed. The investment in time and money would be enormous. The time I could manage, but I really do not have the money to invest in equipment. I did work for a few weeks with a loyal gym, but the students were few and far between.

I will be available to do seminars anywhere in the world for expenses and $1,000 per day - no more than 25 in a class. I will also need a seasoned assistant to demonstrate holds while I critique. It is hard to judge technigue from the mat. I iwll be availabel to work with the guys but need someone to assist.

I think I just put the ball in someone else's court. :-) If I give Charlie one more thing to do I know what will be dropped off the schedule! And I don't want that to happen. :-)

Lou

Pesek
Member # 1825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pesek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much did Santel and Tragos teach you?
Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Pesek,

Tragos and Santel taught me more than moves, and they did it over years and months. I spent every day of my life I was in St. Louis with Tragos over two years. then I would see him for years after that for days and weeks at a time.

Santel and I lived in the club where we worked out and I was with him for about 6-8 months. Like Tragos, I went in for a "visit" whenever I was in town. When I was with Santel, I was building on the knowledge Tragos had given me.

I had a situation that was practical in profesional wrestling at that time. You can equate my education to a collge degree from Tragos University, and masters from Santell College and a phd from a combination of courses from both.

Lou

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations