WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Billy Robinson, Karl Gotch and Billy Wicks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Billy Robinson, Karl Gotch and Billy Wicks
george p
Member # 1354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for george p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you compare Billy Robinson to Karl Gotch as far as wrestling and submissions go? Who do you think would have won a real match?
How good is Billy Wicks? Did you ever wrestle him? Would he be considered a hooker?

IP: Logged
J-MAN
Member # 1076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J-MAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

http://www.wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/Forum10/HTML/000101.html

Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Thesz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not remember Billy as being a hooker, but he was one hell of a wrestler. Keep in mind, if he had bee na hooker, he would have had no opportunity to use the skill.

Lou

Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Thesz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as Billy Robinson and Karl Gotch go, it is like the difference in a Brit and a Greman/Hungarian. They had the same training and probably equal ability, but Billy was never as focused on conditioning as Karl. Billy's interests were more varied and Karl was more focused on wrestling.

Lou

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Robinson wrestle Milwaukee sportscaster Rod Luck back in 1977 in a contest. Luck was 6'1" and 230 pounds and an athlete, so he was just about Robinson's size. Luck could do nothing with Billy, but was fiesty enough not to let Billy pin him (he kept getting to the ropes - and the ref was very liberal in this respect; once Luck got his forehead on the bottom rope). Finally, Billy got him on the mat in a hammerlock and told Luck to give up or he'd break his arm. Luck said it felt like his elbow was going to burst and he gave up. Does that qualify Robinson as a hooker for that one match? LOL.
theshooter
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CrusherBolo, Lou wasn't saying that Billy Robinson wasn't a hooker, he was saying that he doesn't remember Billy WICKS as being a hooker, but that Billy WICKS was still a hell of a wrestler. As Lou will tell you, Billy Robinson was DEFINETELY a hooker and a damn fine one at that.
CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops! I got the Billys mixed up.
Long Legged Mackdaddy El Topo
Member # 1823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Long Legged Mackdaddy El Topo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrusherBolo:
I saw Robinson wrestle Milwaukee sportscaster Rod Luck back in 1977 in a contest. Luck was 6'1" and 230 pounds and an athlete, so he was just about Robinson's size. Luck could do nothing with Billy, but was fiesty enough not to let Billy pin him (he kept getting to the ropes - and the ref was very liberal in this respect; once Luck got his forehead on the bottom rope). Finally, Billy got him on the mat in a hammerlock and told Luck to give up or he'd break his arm. Luck said it felt like his elbow was going to burst and he gave up. Does that qualify Robinson as a hooker for that one match? LOL.

I remember Rod talking about this match on a Philly radio station in the early 80s; he said going in he thought wrestling was fake, but once in the ring Robinson gave hims quite a beating. [Smile]

--------------------
"[Topo's alleged trolling] . . . . might work better if he were even slightly clever or funny."-loadedglove

Not even "AMERICA'S MAYOR" is safe from the wrath of this week's WORLD'S WORST AMERICAN selection! Click here to find out why!

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

I have heard that Gotch and Robinson were in the gym and Karl invited Billy onto the mat and Billy declined.

So long from the Sunshine State!

davidmantell
Member # 3152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidmantell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were both at Riley's Gym in Wigan at the same time in the 1950s so they probably had plenty of shoot workouts together as young guys.
Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Oh? I wouldn't have thought they'd have been there at the same time. I don't think they're THAT close in age. When exactly was this? And how old is Billy? Gotch is 78.
davidmantell
Member # 3152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidmantell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotch was there 1950-58. Billy would have been there in the 1950s and he would still have dropped in until he went to the USA in 1969, although he also had his own shoot gym (Johnny Saint trained there). A lot of the Wigan crew carried on studying at Riley's and learning their craft even after they turned professional. Many of them carried on attending throughout the length and bredth of their ring careers, in some cases even into old age.
oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't seem to find the post I did on British hookers, but Charlie asked Bill about some of them. As part of his answer, he said the two best heavyweights of his era were himself and Gotch. So he seems to consider himself a contemporary of Gotch.

And in one of Matt Furey's publications I seem to recall Gotch saying he helped train Robinson.

But my memory could be faulty in each of those cases.

[ 09-21-2002, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: oblongo ]

davidmantell
Member # 3152

Bob Robinson (aka Billy Joyce) was a classmate of Karl's at Riley's. Not sure if Billy Robinson is related to Bob & Joe.
Tim Hornbaker
Member # 2439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Hornbaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand Billy Robinson is not related to Billy Joyce (Bob Robinson) or his brother Joe.

The Robinson Brothers and Billy Riley were instrumental in teaching Billy, though.

...and Billy Robinson did spar with Karl Gotch. From an e-mail correspondence I had with him, I think he said that Karl was around 13 years older than he was.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations