WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Photos of the Legends Catch-All Page 32

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photos of the Legends Catch-All Page 32
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although Page 31 of this endless series is not yet full, since we're having a French Angel/sartorial-splendor/Ricky Starr reunion there, I'll start a new thread here, and go back to fill Page 31 if the chat going on there fades away.

Here's a rare photo of Ad Santel in 1923, demonstrating his toe hold. Along with the one below, there should be five other photos of Santel, demonstrating the "seven deadliest holds" in wrestling, but they are not now available. Maybe I can find him demonstrating seven deadly sins.

Ken

-

[ 11-29-2009, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Viewer:
Although Page 31 of this endless series is not yet full, since we're having a French Angel/sartorial-splendor/Ricky Starr reunion there, I'll start a new thread here, and go back to fill Page 31 if the chat going on there fades away.

Here's a rare photo of Ad Santel in 1923, demonstrating his toe hold. There should be six other photos of Santel, demonstrating "seven deadliest holds" but they are not now available. Maybe I can find him demonstrating seven deadly sins.

Ken

Sorry, but this free preview is of a Corbis photo, and Corbis no longer supports embedding. It's still damn nice of them to let us have free previews. Click here.

I wanna see him do sloth!

--------------------
"All we have left is our memories, Lou. It's all we have."
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doc:
quote:

Here's a rare photo of Ad Santel in 1923, demonstrating his toe hold. There should be six other photos of Santel, demonstrating "seven deadliest holds" but they are not now available. Maybe I can find him demonstrating seven deadly sins.

Ken

Here ya go:

-

"Sloth" as seen in "The Goonies."

[ 11-29-2009, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Taking a look at what's on the front page of this forum, most of what I see is me over-posting. So, I'll limit the amount of posts I create for a while, until there's more of a balance of threads started by others.

To the many "visitors" to this forum, all you have to do is a quick FREE registration and you can post here. In the four-or-so years I've been a member of the Wrestling Classics boards, I've never received even one WCMB commercial solicitation or piece of spam.

Ken

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by doc:
quote:

Ken

Here ya go:

-

"Sloth" as seen in "The Goonies."

They woulda made a lovely couple. [Big Grin]

[ 11-29-2009, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: doc ]

--------------------
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Ad Santel applying his kidney-crushing, ribs-breaking, backbreaker half-nelson/crotch hold, which is listed as one of wrestling's seven "deadliest holds."

(Forgot I already posted this about a year ago, but there was no explanatory caption at that time. Makes more sense with the original captions restored.)

Ken

-

[ 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Jimmy Cagney posed as wrestling an unidentified man. Publicity photo, but for what? Was Cagney a wrestler in school, did he enjoy training in wrestling, or was he planning to make a wrestling movie? Date is given as 1930s.

Click here and ye shall see.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little quick net research reveals Cagney was a wrestler of some description as a young man. Photo might be older than attributed.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also a practitioner of Judo.

--------------------

doc
Member # 5897

-

Ellen De Generes booking photo.

--------------------

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Joe Malcewicz as it is spelled here, lower right.
Also Milo Steinborn, Karl Sarpolis and Chief Little Wolf. Don't know how long this link will last.

All exhibit cards, which is what is shown here and below, courtesy of the collection of "Wrestling Card King," who I believe is Rob England.

Ken

-

[ 12-20-2009, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Everett Marshall, as it is spelled here, Ed "Strangler" Lewis, and Ray Steele.

-

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Will someone please drive me over to the warehouse where I store my pennies? New York City is snow-covered tonight.

Exhibit cards were sold for one-cent each, as shown here, and this image includes cards for Danno O'Mahoney and Ed Don George.

Ken

-

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Earl Caddock photo; no date:

-

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

George Calza of Italy. Newsreel footage of him exists. He also wrestled in the U.S.

-

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Nice shots of Wild Bill Longson and Bobby Managoff (junior). Courtesy of the Billco collection.

-

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

This photograph is from the Los Angeles Times. The bear will have to be identified by some of the animals on other wrestling sites. Question is, is that creature's opponent The Destroyer, and was this match part of the pre, mid or post-game show at a Lakers' game? Not a quiz; I wasn't going to spend much time tracking down the date and situation.

Ken

-

[ 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Certainly is Beyer and I think the match is on youtube and the bear is Victor.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Or try this one:

--------------------

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Crimson Mask,

Thanks for the two matches. In the one that's currently working (the second of the two), Beyer said he was WWA champion at the time. Did any other world's heavyweight championship claimants wrestle bears while they held their titles, at least after World War II?

I can't envision Frank Sexton, Edouard Carpentier, Buddy Rogers or any of the East Coast champs wrestling bears, but perhaps that's because the bears were only allowed to sit in the upstairs seats with the drunks and the rest of us crummy characters.

Ken

[ 12-26-2009, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

They're the same match, or should be. I can't get the first one to work either. I can't imagine the NWA champion rassling a bear, no, and neither did the WWWF or AWA that I know of.

--------------------

Mark Tomol
Member # 9223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tomol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This photograph is from the Los Angeles Times. The bear will have to be identified by some of the animals on other wrestling sites. Question is, is that creature's opponent The Destroyer, and was this match part of the pre, mid or post-game show at a Lakers' game? Not a quiz; I wasn't going to spend much time tracking down the date and situation.

Ken

-

More than likely one of these cards.

February 17, 1965 - Los Angeles, CA - Olympic Auditorium
Television Tapings:
Victor the Bear W/DQ Destroyer
Paul Diamond beat Ken Yates
Billy Red Lyons beat Bill Cody
Shohei Baba beat Hangman
Pedro Morales beat Don Savage
Kurt & Karl Von Stroheim beat Mr. Moto & Larry Evans

March 11, 1965 - Bakersfield, CA - Strelich Stadium
Joe Carollo beat Bud Cody 2-1
Paul Diamond DCOR Horst Wessel 1-1
Pedro Morales & Luis Hernandez beat Kurt & Karl Von Stroheim
Victor the Bear beat Destroyer

April 13, 1965 - Long Beach, CA - Municipal Auditorium
Luis Hernandez drew Billy Red Lyons
Chief White Eagle over Matt Murphy
Karl von Stroheim over El Magnifico
Pedro Morales beat Kurt von Stroheim
Victor the Bear over Destroyer

Beyer had nothing to be ashamed of. The Bear beat Mae Young later that year so you know it was tough.

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Is The Crusher wearing a wig here or did he forget to tip his barber previously? No date.

Ken

-

[ 01-03-2010, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

doc
Member # 5897

-

"You don't like my haircut? I done it myself. Me and a plastic knife inna motel room, tree-tirty inna mawning, 'Da Bad An' Da Byooteeful' on TV, starrin' Gilbert Roland. You tink you could do betta?"

--------------------

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can anyone identify these two wrestlers who battled in Seattle, Washington for some sort of title in 1934? The match was important enough to make the newsreels. RTT May 25, 1934. This is a still-photo off of the reel and can't be made larger without major loss of whatever clarity it has.

Ken

-

Believe that is from the old Seattle Civic Auditorium. I think the guy facing the camera is possibly Ted Cox. On the 24th in Seattle he wrestled a Jack League. But that looks like Ted Cox.
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Matt,

In crazy-Ken code, RTT means "Released To Theaters."

So the match had to take place three or more days earlier than May 24th, unless the original newsreel-distributor had some reason to pay mucho dinero for a hurry-job from the lab that processed the film, and if the release came out of the Eastern distribution system, airplane-delivery on this Seattle footage.

I suspect, given the problem identifying the wrestlers, this was a fill-in match used because they had nothing better for that twice-a-week endless demand for wrestling films.

Ken

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrestled Victor a few weeks after the match with with The Destroyer & got a draw.--Yohe
ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But you were bigger than Victor
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Yohe:
I wrestled Victor a few weeks after the match with with The Destroyer & got a draw.--Yohe

Was that the only time Victor ever bladed?

He really appreciated those 12 salmon you fed him before the match.

Newsreel footage will be posted as soon as it's found.

Ken

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Matt,

In crazy-Ken code, RTT means "Released To Theaters."

So the match had to take place three or more days earlier than May 24th, unless the original newsreel-distributor had some reason to pay mucho dinero for a hurry-job from the lab that processed the film, and if the release came out of the Eastern distribution system, airplane-delivery on this Seattle footage.

I suspect, given the problem identifying the wrestlers, this was a fill-in match used because they had nothing better for that twice-a-week endless demand for wrestling films.

Ken

Okay...but that still looks like Ted Cox
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Matt posted:

Okay...but that still looks like Ted Cox

I couldn't identify Frank Gotch or Karl Gotch from a wrestling bear, much less Ted Cox.

You're the expert.

Ken

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations